A South India Sweet Delight
1. Rice flour - 2 cups
2. Roasted coconut pieces - 2 tsp.
3. Cut ripe Banana pieces- 3/4 cup
4. Grated jaggery (molasis) - 1 cup
5. Seasame seed - 50 grams
6. Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp.
7. Soda bicarbonate - 1 pinch
8. Water - 1/2 cup
9. Cooking oil - to fry
10. Special mould (Appakara) to get the proper round shape.
- Cut the banana and mash it nicely.
- Mix rice flour with the roasted coconut pieces, and the mashed banana.
- Melt jaggery (molasis) in water and boil till it becomes thick. Add this to the above mixture to make a smooth
batter,and add soda bicarbonate, seasame seed, and cardamom powder.
- Heat the mould (appakara) and fill the cups with 3/4th oil.
- When the oil is heated pour the batter in the cups.
- Stir till all the sides turn golden brown.
- Remove the cooked unniappams from oil, drain and set aside.
Return from Unniappam to Home Page