Health Benefits of Cardamom - There are several studies about the health benefits of cardamom. The use of cardamom, which is one of the main ingredients in our kitchen, has been in practice for thousands of years. It is one of the oldest herbs in the world. In some countries, cardamom is used for its pungent aroma and in some parts of the world like India, it is used in the kitchen for both its aroma and health benefits. Its origin is believed to be the Western Ghats of South India. The seeds and oil from the seeds are used for medicinal purposes. For cooking purpose, the seeds are used, and the oil is also used in perfumes, soaps and creams.
1. Cardamom may help in lowering blood pressure level because of its antioxidants property.
2. Another important health benefit of cardamom is it may prevent from many chronic diseases because of its anti-inflammatory property.
3. Since cardamom can increase the activity of certain enyzmes it may help to prevent growth of certain cancers.
4. Cardamom may help in digestive disorders such as ulcer in the stomach and may prevent nausea. It stimulates the secretion of bile acid which aids in digestion proper metabolism.
5. The antibacterial properties of cardamom may help in treating infections.
6. For oral health, cardamom may help to treat people suffering from bad breath because of its antibacterial properties.
7. The antioxidant properties of cardamom may promote heart health. Cardamom also contains fiber, the nutrient that can help lower cholesterol levels.
8. Cardamom may also help people to cope with depression. Just powder a few seeds of cardamom and boil them in water along with your everyday tea. If this tea is taken regularly it can provide better results.
9. Since cardamom is rich in manganese it may lower the risk of diabetes.
10. Cardamom contains muscle relaxing properties and hence it may prevent hiccups.
Return to ayurveda herbs