Drumstick Leaves Recipe
(Moringa leaves Recipe)
Drumstick leaves recipe is very tasty and nutritious. They are widely used in South India, especially in Kerala and Tamil Nadu. Drumstick is also known as Moringa, and it is referred as the miracle tree because of its many health benefits.
Moringa leaves are highly nutritious and healthy which contain all the essential vitamins and minerals required for our body.
Items required for the preparation of
Drumstick leaves Recipe
This recipe is also known as Murinjakkai ila thoran and Murinjakkai keera thoran in southern part of India.
Items requiredDrumstick leaves - 3 cupsCoconut scrapings - 1 cupOnion - 1 bigGreen chillies - 3 NosTurmeric powder - 1/4 tsp.Salt - as requiredCooking oil - 2 tsp.Mustard seeds - 1/2 tspUrad dal - 1 tsp
How to prepare Moringa leaves recipe
- Wash and keep the drumstick leaves in a vessel.
- Chop the onion and green chillies (lengthwise), and add to the drumstick leaves.
- Add turmeric powder, coconut and salt. Mix the ingredients well in the vessel with hand, without using spoon.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When they splutter, add urad dal.
- Add the mixed leaves into it and sprinkle little water.
- Cover up the pan and cook for about 5-7 minutes, in low fire.
- Add 1 tsp. coconut oil in the murinjakkai keerai poriyal and remove from the fire. (This is optional.)
Interested to learn more about moringa (drumstick) leaves? Check out the following video about moringa leave recipe.
Video: Moringa Leave Recipe
Return to South Indian Cuisine
Return to Ayurveda herbs page