Aviyal is a special preparation of South India, especially in Kerala, and Tamil Nadu. It is a must recipe for festivals like Onam and wedding sadhya or any other great feast. It is a mixture of a number of vegetables, thick and tasty side dish.
Items required to prepare Aviyal
Fresh and washed Vegetables are very important to prepare healthy and tasty aviyal.
Any 6-7 types of the following vegetables can be used for the preparation of this dish and cut them into about 1 1/2" in length.
- Drumstick - 1
- Yam - 1/2cup
- Banana - 1/2 cup
- Beans - 1/2 cup
- Long beans (payar) - 1/2 cup
- Potato - 1/2 cup
- Carrot - 1/2 cup
- White pumpkin - 1/2 cup
- Yellow pumpkin - 1/2 tsp
- Mango (optional) - 1 tablespoon
- Nool khol - 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Chillie powder - 1 tsp
- Coconut scrappings - 200grams
- Cummin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Green chillies - 3 (cut lengthwise)
- Thick and sour curds - 200 ml
- Coconut oil - 1 tsp.
- Curry leaves - 3
- Water - 1 1/2 cups.
- Cook the vegetables together with green chillies, chilli powder turmeric powder, and salt.
- Grind coconut with cummin seeds coarsely.
- Beat the curds well, and add to the cooked vegetables.
- Add the ground coconut, and mix well.
- Bring it to boil and remove from the stove.
- Add coconut oil and curry leaves.
1. While cooking the vegetables care should be taken not to have extra water.Just adequate water only.
2. If raw mango is used no need to add sour curds.
3. After adding coconut and curds, it should not overcook. If overcooked,the taste will change.
4. This dish will be thick in consistency, and is used as a side dish.If you want to make it as a main dish, you can add little extra water while cooking.
Return from Aviyal Recipe to South Indian Cuisine
Search Books on Cooking