Olan recipe is a very tasty dish of South India. It is an important dish for sadhya, especially during Onam. It is made with no spice at all, except green chillies. Still it tastes heavenly when made properly. The importance of this simple dish is that no big feast (sadhya) is complete without olan on the menu.
- Ash guard - 100g
- Pumpkin - 100g
- Red gram - 2 tbsp.
- Green chillies - 3 Nos.
- Coconut milk - 1/2 cup thick milk and 1 cup thin milk
- Salt - as required.
- Coconut oil - 1/2 tbsp.
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
Method of Preparation
- Soak red gram for about 3 hours.
- Remove the thick coverings of ash guard and pumpkin.
- Slit the green chillies.
- Cook soaked red gram, ash guard, pumpkin and green chillies together with sufficient salt.
- Add the thin coconut milk and cook for few more minutes, until it thickens.
- Add thick coconut milk and cook for about 2 minutes. Don't allow it to boil well.
- Remove the dish from the fire before it is fully boiled.
- Add coconut oil and curry leaves, and cover it up for at least 5-10 minutes before use.
Olan can also be made as above, but without adding coconut milk.
Return from Olan Recipe to South Indian Cuisine