Kajjaya for Festival Sweets
Kajjaya is a sweet dish prepared for festivals in Karnataka, South India. In Tamil Nadu it is called Athirasam.
For Deepavali festival, these sweets are prepared as one of the main items.
- Rice flour - 2 cups
- wheat flour - 1 cup
- Jaggery - 2 cups
- Coconut scrappings - 2 cups
- Cardomom powder - 1 teaspoon
- Ghee or oil to fry.
Method of Preparation
- Mix wheat flour and rice flour well.
- Add powdered jaggery, coconuts, and cardomom powder.
- Mix all the ingredients together well.
- Add water little by little, to get a consistency of idli batter.
- Heat the ghee or oil, whichever you prefer to use, in a frying pan.
- Pour one laddle of batter carefully into the ghee/oil.
Adequate care should be taken while pouring it into the hot ghee/oil.
- You can make 3-4 sweets like this at a time. Turn each one of them to ensure proper cooking.
- Remove them from the oil when fried well and place them on a paper to remove the extra oil.
Return from Kajjaya to South Indian Cuisine